Who We Are
We here at Sketch Maven love comics and original comic artwork in all of its forms. We believe that every comic fan should have a piece of original artwork hanging on his or her wall- one that no one else in the world owns. We have thousands of pieces for every comic fan to pore over. Are you looking for that perfect piece of art? With our advanced technologies we can help you find what you want. And if you are an artist or collector looking to sell artwork, we make it as simple as possible to post your products and find the right buyer!
What We Do
Sketch Maven is a marketplace where those looking to buy comic art can find those looking to sell comic art. The process is simple: artists, dealers, and collectors upload their collections onto the website and post a price for each piece. Then, buyers can use any number of search functions to find what they’re looking for, add it to their shopping cart, and make the purchase by credit card or PayPal.
Our mission is to provide an outstanding customer experience for both buyers and sellers, and make original comic art a more accessible hobby for all fans. Maybe we’re softies, but we believe that owning a piece of artwork from your favorite childhood comic or something you read the other week is something special. We want to make finding and buying it as easy as possible.
How it Works – For Buyers
Buyers can browse by artist, character or writer or they can perform more complex searches. Clicking on the “Smart Search” button let's you see all the other options. You can search by title, penciler, inker, writer, publisher, character on the page, character in the issue, or seller ID- and any combination thereof. And even when you get to any product page, you can search further by clicking on any underlined word on the right hand side. There you can search for certain sized artwork, letterer, you name it! Seriously, we think it's pretty cool.
Once you’re ready to purchase, simply go through the checkout process and make your payment by credit card or PayPal. Then it takes usually 7-10 days for the art to arrive. (We even make shipping fees simple: depending on what a seller chooses, shipping is either free or $10 for any size order from that seller.)
While you’re waiting, you can start picking out the perfect spot in your home or office to hang it up.
How it Works – For Sellers
Sellers can upload their pieces of artwork in a few easy steps. First, create a Sketch Maven account. Then, click on “Upload Your Art”, and select the title and issue. The rest of the issue information (i.e., penciler, inker, etc.) should update automatically from our database. Our database contains over 250,000 comics, so chances are we’ll have your artwork already there. However, if it does not update automatically, you can add it yourself.
Then, you fill out the page information, upload the picture, add some other information (i.e., is there a signature on the page, which characters that appear on the page, etc.), and your page is immediately active!
Once a sale is made, Sketch Maven collects the money from the buyer, and then sends a check to you when the buyer receives the artwork. For more specifics, feel free to view the User Agreement.
And if you prefer, we also offer a Full Service offering where we will scan, post, inventory and fulfill your original comic art for you. If you prefer this offering, please contact us at email@example.com for more details.
Sketch Maven was created by collectors, for collectors. As such, there are many benefits to both buyers and sellers at Sketch Maven. Here are just a few:
* Reach the most buyers & sellers – Sketch Maven is putting a lot of marketing muscle behind getting the word out: full-page ads in major comic publications, booths at the major 2010 conventions, and a multi-tiered internet campaign. Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
* Sell without time constraints – Unique products deserve a unique site. Seven-day auction formats in other sites restrict your ability to find the right buyer. Sketch Maven is a site that allows you to list your pages without time constraints, giving you a perpetual sales presence.
* Search by artist, character, title and much, much more—Did we mention how cool the Search feature is?
* We’ll advertise for you—If you're an independent artist selling on Sketch Maven, we'll advertise in your comic or website. And if you're selling stuff on our site, we will advertise your artwork through our extensive sales channels to ensure you get the price you want.
* Just call if you need help –We’re not a mega-conglomerate with an unreachable, “helpless” help desk. If you ever need help or have a question, you’re just a phone call, email, or IM away from a quick, personal answer.
How We Got Started
Sketch Maven was founded by Mike Todasco. Like many of you, Mike got hooked on comic books at a young age, and his loyalties bounced between Marvel and DC for most of his youth. Before he was even a teenager, he saw the original cover art of his favorite series at the Chicago Comicon. Being a "poor pre-teen," he didn’t buy it, and has since regretted passing up such a great piece of art He has looked extensively across the web and has never been able to find that it. That was the inspiration for Sketch Maven; he realized that there are a lot of people out there like him who can’t find a particular piece they’d love to have. After months of research, interviews, and programming Sketch Maven was born.
How We Make a Profit
Sketch Maven does not currently accept advertising as we believe it devalues the user experience on the site. We only make money when transactions are completed on the website and we've set up a very competitive fee structure that gives sellers the maximum margin and helps us "keep the lights on." We never charge more than a variable rate of 10% for any sale, and that includes all your credit card fees.
We are constantly making improvements to the website and adding enhanced functionality. (We are adding features both big and small every week.) To do this right, we need to hear your feedback, comments, and suggestions. So please let us know what you would like to see. And do check out our Coming Soon page to see what is already in the works.
* June 19, 2011: CBR: A Month of Comic Book Sites: Sketch Maven
* April 23, 2010: Comic Related: The Related Recap #192 Interview
* April 14, 2010: Thrillist: Original Comic Book Art for Your Original Inner Nerd
* April 12, 2010: Mashable.com: Sketch Maven: A Marketplace for Original Comic Book Art
* April 6, 2010: Tech Support Guy Podcast: Apple iPad Discussion and Recap from the Sketch Maven Booth at WonderCon
* April 5, 2010: Comic Avalanche: 10 Questions with Sketch Maven Founder: Mike Todasco
* February 25, 2010: Santa Clara Weekly: Launching Comic Art e-Marketplace is Labor of Love
* November 30, 2009: About.com: Aaron's Comic Blog: Sketch Maven
* June 12, 2011: The Perfect, Last Minute Father’s Day Gift: Original Comic Book Art on Sketch Maven
* May 5, 2011: Now You Can Buy Original Comic Art on Facebook with Sketch Maven
* March 2, 2011: Sketch Maven Allows Fans From Across the World to Buy and Sell Original Comic Art
* January 13, 2011: Find the Original Comic Art You Are Looking For With Sketch Maven’s New ‘Wanted to Buy’ Feature
* December 13, 2010: Find Unique, Affordable Holiday Gifts on Sketch Maven
* November 29, 2010: Sketch Maven Celebrates First Anniversary of the World's Greatest Comic Art Marketplace
* September 29, 2010: Add Some Color to Your Comic Art Collection with Color Guides from Sketch Maven
* July 28, 2010: Sketch Maven and Backroom Comics Podcast Partner to Give Comic Book Fans a Winning Combination
* June 10, 2010: Original Comic Art: The Answer to Unique Father's Day Gifts for Dad
* April 28, 2010: Horror Movie Fans Find Nightmare on Elm Street Original Comic Art on Sketch Maven
* March 31, 2010: Sketch Maven Debuts at WonderCon with iPads and an Artwork Giveaway
* March 23, 2010: Discover the Artists Behind Original Comic Art
* March 1, 2010: Batman Edges out Superman for the All-Time Price Record for Comic Books
* February 19, 2010: Original Comic Art Purchases Backed by Sketch Maven Buyer Protection Program
* January 17, 2010: Sketch Maven to Donate 10% of Comic Art Sales to Haiti Relief Efforts
* January 11, 2010: Sketch Maven Gives Comic Art Collectors More to Look Forward to in 2010
* December 15, 2009: “Best of 2009” Comic-Related Videos Revealed by Sketch Maven
* November 24, 2009: Recapture the Joy of Childhood by Giving Original Comic Art this Holiday Season
* November 15, 2009: Original Comic Art Superheroes Find a New Home on the World’s Greatest Comic Art Marketplace
If you have any questions, comments or feedback you can reach us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, via instant message, by phone at (408) 37-COMIC or by mail at 2784 Homestead Road #160, Santa Clara, CA 95051.
Follow Sketch Maven on: